The new reality of social distancing has required many people to convert their home into their workplace. Our team at Hilo quickly adapted by shifting our weekly Hilo Huddles to virtual huddles via Zoom every morning. Starting each day with a team check-in has helped us maintain our culture of community and tenacious focus. Over the last week we compiled a list of tips that are helping us stay connected, positive and productive from the comfort of our homes. We hope that sharing them will inspire you to maintain motivation and focus while working from home.
- Stick to a routine. Wake up at a normal time, get ready for work, move to your work space, and be sure to take a lunch break!
- Start each day with a virtual team meeting to stay connected, check-in on each other and outline your goals for the day.
- Get outside to enjoy some fresh air. Walk your dog, rake the leaves, or go for a bike ride!
- During your at-home coffee break, practice creating latte art. You might even discover a hidden talent or new hobby!
- Hug your dog (if you have one!) for some invaluable emotional support. It really helps to make up for all of the human hugs that you are missing!
- Get in a bodyweight workout with all of the windows open to stay cool.
- Find joy in the process of baking fresh sourdough bread, cookies or banana bread.
- At the end of each workday, take time to do an online yoga class to stretch and find some mental peace.
- Don’t forget to check in on your family and friends. Connect via FaceTime for a group happy hour!
- Try out a new recipe for dinner and be sure to share it with your colleagues the next day. We could all use a little comfort food right now!
As we navigate these uncharted waters together, we encourage you to take care of yourself and stay connected with your work community as much as possible. At Hilo, we believe we are better together, and introducing some of these tips into your ‘home work’ strategy can provide some much needed strength and consistency during these challenging times.